Wednesday, April 01, 2009



Contributions Welcome

I’m always intrigued when a musician or group tries something outside the normally accepted practices of recording and distribution. I mean, how creative can you be when you’re expected to follow the age old pattern of: radio single, record release, tour, TV appearance, rinse, repeat?
It is probably the reason I loved so many of the DIY bands of the ‘90’s. They had to REALLY WANT to make an album to produce and distribute it themselves. I’m not saying it always made for better music, but artistic integrity counts for a lot.

I was recently surprised to find one ‘90’s artist still testing the boundaries of the normally accepted practices of the industry. Jill Sobule recently asked her fans to fund her next record. (You remember her, right? SHE made a song about kissing a girl long before Katy Perry).

This prompted the question, “Does Jill Sobule still HAVE fans?” Oh you betcha. And they put up enough dough for a record ($75k) in an impressive 53 days. The best part – contributors were rewarded for their donations. Here’s a sample of what fans got for their money:

$10 contribution: A free digital download of the album, when it's released.
$25 contribution: An advance copy of the CD.
$50 contribution: An advance copy and a "Thank You" on the CD.
$100 contribution: All the above, plus a “Junior Executive Producer” T-shirt.

And the prizes get better the more you contribute. There are free concert tickets and backstage passes, even a free concert in your own home. $1,000 earns a theme song written for your answering machine or personal cell phone. And for the really, really fanatical fan - $10,000 will allow you to sing on the CD with Jill herself! Now I’m not a fan or anything, but I gotta admire her motivation and creativity. And frankly, I’m hoping the idea will catch on. I’d be willing to contribute $100 to a new Hazel album. I wouldn’t even need any goodies – to hear new music from my favorite band would be worth the price. (Although I’d be tempted to hear what my own theme, as sung by Jody and Pete, would sound like.)

What artist could motivate YOU to contribute to their comeback album? How much would you be willing to give and what reward would you seek for your payment?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Defunct bands that I would pay money for a reunion? Hmm... excluding bands with dead members (unless you have magical powers I don't know anything about).. I can only come up with Concrete Blonde. Maybe Belly, but Tanya D. does alright with her solo stuff, even if it is a bit self-righteous.

On the Portland scene, I would like to see The Dharma Bums do something together again.

I'm curious as to who you guessed I would say...

-Mike

Skye said...

I suspected Dharma Bums.
Good call on both Belly and Concrete Blonde. I've never seen either band live and I would love to do so. Also, I just love Tanya Donnely's voice.

I'd have to throw out the Sundays and the Spinanes as other pay-for-play artists on my list.

Unknown said...

Gin Blossoms. Very interesting post - I'm completely fascinated by Jill's approach, and even more impressed by how quickly her lingering fans ponied up!

Skye said...

Nice. I love me some Gin B's.